Iran calls for Holocaust proof
Mohammad Ali Ramin, head of the government-funded foundation, said on Tuesday that Austria, Germany and Poland in particular should supply documents.
Created following Iran’s controversial Holocaust conference last year, this Iranian organisation’s primary mission is to probe the authenticity of the Holocaust.
“They should hand over the proof for the dossier on the organised massacre of Jews in Europe during World War II to the independent international fact-finding committee affiliated to this foundation,” he told the agency.
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, ordered the creation of the foundation after inviting a number of controversial revisionist Holocaust researchers to a conference in Tehran in December that caused an international outcry.
Ahmadinejad has repeatedly questioned the scale of the Holocaust. He has described the mass killing of six million Jews in World War II as a “myth” and has called for Israel to be “wiped from the map”.
The foreign researchers invited to the conference – some of whom have criminal records at home – gave papers claiming the Holocaust never happened on the scale assumed by the vast majority of historians.
Mainstream historians specialising in the Third Reich counter there is ample documentary proof that around six million Jews were killed by the Nazis in World War II although some estimates put the figure slightly higher or lower.
The UN general assembly last month unanimously approved a US-proposed resolution condemning denial of the Holocaust, in a move diplomats said was directly aimed at Iran.