Skip to content

Israel calls murderous strikes ‘accurate’ and ‘preferable’

July 1, 2012

Tuesday, June 27. 2006
Israel has said that an air strike that killed two children and a teenager was ‘necessary’ and that they would continue the bloody strikes as it was the “most accurate” and “preferable” method for their missions.

This was a series of strikes where innocent civilians have been killed in cold blood, the latest being a pregnant woman, her male relative and her 7-month-old unborn baby.

An Israeli army spokeswoman expressed regret at the deaths. The Israeli Air Force had fired the missile as the suspect car travelled in a relatively unpopulated area on the outskirts of Khan Younis, to avoid civilian death as had happened in previous attacks, “What happened in this case, the missile simply missed,” said the army spokeswoman.

At least 13 other people were injured, four of them children. Two of them are in a serious condition, officials at Nasser Hospital in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis said.

“We will continue with this action as it is preferable by far to other methods,” said a commander, who did not give his name to Reuters. “The munitions which we use and the mode of operation is the most accurate which can be used in an urban area, far more accurate than artillery or tanks.”

Israel has killed at least 12 Palestinian civilians in air strikes in recent days, most of them children.

Hamas condemned the strike as a “war crime” and threatened retaliation – without saying what form that might take.

“They (the Israelis) will pay a price if they continue,” said Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri.

Thousands of Palestinians attended funerals for three children killed by an Israeli missile stike on a car earlier during the week.

As the funerals went ahead, Palestinian militants fired three more missiles in retaliatory attacks.

In another cold blooded calculated attack Israel launched a strike on a vehicle they suspected to be carrying militants. However the calculations proved inaccurate and the rocket struck a group of children playing nearby killing three and injuring fourteen others.

Hospital officials said a 5-year-old boy and two girls aged 7 and 16 were among the dead.

Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh of Hamas called the attacks in Gaza a “massacre”. He said Israelwas only stoking hatred “through a policy that knows no laws”.

“This is war,” said Israel’s Infrastructure Minister Binyamin Ben-Eliezer, a former defence chief. “I think we have done the right thing, and will continue to do so,” he told Israel Radio. “If there’s a need for massive action, so be it.”

The missile strikes were all targeted at militants who were apparently travelling through the area in vehicles, which were being tracked by Israeli intelligence.

In the attack on Tuesday, the occupants of the car leapt out before the blast in a street in the crowded Jabaliya refugee camp, witnesses say. Fourteen other children were wounded.

Israel has repeatedly struck targets in Gaza in response to attacks by Palestinian militants, who have fired dozens of missiles into Israel in recent days.

Militants stepped up rocket launchings after an assault earlier this month that killed seven Palestinians on a Gaza beach. The deaths, for which Israel said it was not responsible, prompted Hamas to call off a 16-month-old truce.

Hundreds of angry Palestinians gathered to protest at the scene of one of the attacks.

Khalil Roka, a cousin of one of the dead children, told the Associated Press news agency he saw a red flash as the car exploded amid a group of children playing.

The BBC’s Alan Johnston in Gaza says civilians are often killed when Israel targets militants in crowded areas.

A spokeswoman for the Israeli army said the attack had targeted members of the al-Aqsa Martyrs’ Brigade, a militant group associated with Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas’ Fatah party.

Last week, an Israeli strike on a van carrying militants in Gaza City left nine people dead, seven of them civilians.

The latest air strike came amid Israeli newspaper reports that Israeli Defence Minister Amir Peretz had given the green light to plans to widen Israel’s military attacks in Gaza, aimed at reducing the now daily fire from the strip at Israel.

Anticipating a large-scale Israeli retaliatory operation in Gaza, Chief Palestinian Negotiator Saeb Erekat called Wednesday on all militant groups to stop launching missiles into southern Israel.

‘President (Mahmoud) Abbas asked the factions for a mutual ceasefire for fear of an extensive Israeli offensive against the Strip within the coming days,’ Erekat told reporters in Ramallah.

Ibrahim Gambari, U.N. undersecretary-general for political affairs renewed a plea for an end to air strikes because of the danger of killing civilians. He also noted that 176 rockets had been fired from Gaza into Israel in the past month.

The image “https://i0.wp.com/www.themuslimweekly.com/newsimages1/Week136/TW00005829L.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Advertisements

From → News

Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: